The long-awaited book by Dr Joseph Mercola about the dangers of electromagnetic radiation is here (almost, published on 18 February – and only £1.82 on Kindle). Read the summary of the key points and more importantly, key solutions and five steps you can take to take control of your electromagnetic life.
1. Measure radiation levels already present so you know what you’re dealing with. You can do it yourself, by getting some measuring gadgets or hire an expert (such as myself) to measure levels of radiation in your home or workplace. The cheapest meters are Trifield TF2 meter and Acousticom 2 EMF Detector. It’s also an investment for the whole family, friends and neighbours (yes, you’d have to educate your neighbours to switch off wifi for the night!).
2. Reduce your local electro-smog emitted by your devices. Connect your computers and printers to the internet using a hard-wired Ethernet cable. Yes, I know, you won’t have wifi – that’s the point. Avoid any high electromagnetic fields by using a grounded Cat7 Ethernet cable. Turn off wi-fi in your modems and routers – they’re wifi-enabled by default but you can switch if off via the software and you can set when it works during the day only. You can purchase your own modem and separate router. Or, get a router that doesn’t have wifi at all. And then switch off wifi in your laptops, computers and devices by putting them into airplane mode. Disable Bluetooth on your computers. If you have to have your router on, you can cover it with RF-shielding material or wire mesh box. Laptops emit high levels of EMFs, but there are things you can do to make them safer for everyday use. Extra precaution: make sure that your computer has a grounded alternating-current (AC) power cord.
3. Take control of your mobile phone. Keep your mobile switched on to airplane mode when you’re not using it. It’s a hassle but you’ll be also protected from potential hacks (when you have wifi and Bluetooth on you can be easily hacked). When the signal is weak, avoid using your phone because it tries harder to make the connection with the mobile masts and therefore there is a stronger electromagnetic field (up to 10 000 times more).
4. Beaware of any cheap devices that promise protection such as stickers and crystals, etc. They might make you feel better but you can still measure the radiation from your phone, etc. Avoid using your mobile on a bus, train or in your car because it has to work harder to get connected, hence more radiation. Don’t sleep with your mobile in your bedroom, unless it’s powered off completely. And NEVER sleep with your phone right under your pillow! (I have seen teenagers doing that! Obviously, they’ve skipped the physics class.) Don’t use your mobile phone as an alarm clock, if so, put it in airplane mode. Don’t use the wireless mobile phone chargers, to minimise the unnecessary electro-smog. If you kid wants to play a game – put the device in airplane mode. And, most of all, put more distance between your phone and your body.
“Sleeping with your head inches from a device that transmits radio signals all night long is a virtual prescription for neurodegeneration and increased risk of brain cancer.” Dr Mercola
5. Reduce outside sources of radiation, which includes 5G. If you’re hype-electrosensitive or worried about the radiation coming from outside or neighbours get an EMF sleeping tent. You can paint your bedroom (this is the most important room to make sure is safe) with EMF-shielding paint. Both need to be done properly and checked properly because these can do more harm if not correctly grounded, etc. You can purchase Fraday cage bags for mobiles, computers, etc which will block all radiation. Also, you can buy EMF-protective clothing such as hats, t-shirts and underwear. If unfortunately, you have a smart meter and you can’t get rid of it, you can install smart meter guards which will block 99% of the radiation.
So, Mercola offers lots of don’ts. But, I guess, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Prevention is better than cure.
“How much more radiation penetrates your body today, compared to 10 years ago?”
The answer: “Quintillion times more – that is 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 times more!” (18 zeros)
Olle Johansson, PhD, Associate Professor in Neuroscience at the Karolinska Institute, Sweden
How to repair EMF-related damage?
Mercola also has some lifestyle tips such as:
• Most importantly, limit your exposure to electro-smog, especially during sleep when your body repairs itself and rejuvenates.
• Do restrictive eating, eating in 6-8 hour window or less.
• Exercise. Mercola recommends blood flow restriction training.
• Supplement your diet with molecular hydrogen tables and niacin (25mg/day) as well as magnesium malate or citrate (our bodies lose magnesium when stressed and electromagnetic radiation is an environmental stressor).
• Take near-infrared saunas.
“EMFs affect your body’s ability to repair damaged DNA, which can lead to cancer.”
Is there any valid research on the dangers of electromagnetic radiation?
Yes, plenty. Probably, now 30 000 research papers. Educate yourself. Start with this book.